- The correct servicing and maintenance of agricultural machinery is vital, considering the conditions under which they operate.
- Keep up to date with the latest developments and new implements and new technology (more bearings fail, for example, from over greasing than under greasing).
- Keep work shops clean and dust free. Remove chain from implements during off-season and lubricate.
Source: Bearings International
Training, Consulting & Research Service Providers
University of the Free State (UFS) Department of Agricultural Economics – www.ufs.ac.za Several technical farm components (e.g. mechanisation, irrigation, labour) can be evaluated using the FARMS programme, offered by the Department of Agricultural Economics at the University of the Free State.
Community, NGO and NPO Service Providers
- Your local agribusiness / co-operative e.g. VKB, OVK, AFGRI etc
- Agricultural software companies have programmes which can do an analysis of vehicle costs, calculates depreciation etc. Find these on the “Digital Agriculture” page.